South Adelaide Football Club EST.1876

Joint major partners

Home  >  Blog  >  Lumin Sports Match Report: Round 2 vs Port Adelaide
Lumin Sports Match Report: Round 2 vs Port Adelaide

Lumin Sports Match Report: Round 2 vs Port Adelaide

11 April 2022

Lumin Sports Round 2 Match Report

South Adelaide @ Port Adelaide
Round 2 - Alberton Oval - 9/04/2022

South Adelaide4.39.612.817.9111
Port Adelaide 5.28.913.1214.17101

Goals: Menzie 6, Garthwaite 3, Davis, Freitag, Gibbs, O'Neill, Overall, Ramsay, Sampson, Slape
Best: Gibbs, Menzie, Sampson, Davis, Garthwaite 
Crowd: 1160

South Adelaide claims a thrilling 10-point win over Port Adelaide in a high-scoring and see-sawing clash at Alberton Oval on Saturday.

The Panthers' clash against Port Adelaide, their century-old rival, was a great exhibition of SANFL football: high scoring, multiple lead changes, and gutsy performances.

But what makes the match even sweeter is that, after trailing by as much as 28 points in the third term, the Panthers snatched the lead during the dying minutes of the game to claim a thrilling win, 17.9 (111) to 14.17 (101).

It was a character-defining game for the new-look Panthers. Bryce Gibbs (39 disposals, 10 clearances, 7 marks) and Mitch O'Neill (29 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances) were influential.

Meanwhile, Jye Menzie currently tops the league's goalkicking tally after adding 6 more to his season total on the weekend.

From the opening bounce, it looked as if Menzie, along with the Panthers, was in for another big game.

When the side rebounded from an early Port attack, Menzie was there to collect and kick truly while on the run to register the opening goal of the day.

Hayden Sampson (23 disposals, 4 tackles), who played a part in this opening goal, was a much-welcomed inclusion into the side along with Matthew Broadbent (20 disposals, 10 inside 50s).

However, this early lead was short-lived as the home side responded with their first major of the game a minute later. But a thumping goal by Oliver Davis soon had the lead back into the Panthers' hands.

Then a Gibbs clearance and responding kick inside the Panthers' forward 50 arc put immense pressure on the Port backline—which Ryan Garthwaite capitalised on with his first of the day.

Despite registering back-to-back goals, the shootout continued.

Port Adelaide registered their second of the day midway through the opening term. Then, with an assist from O'Neill, Garthwaite out-bodied Panther-draftee Skinner before going back and kicking his second goal in 7 minutes.

However, from here the home side wrestled back control of the match. The Panthers registered 3 straight behinds and conceded 3 goals to close the opening term which handed them a 5-point deficit at the first break, 4.3 (27) to 5.2 (32).

On cue, Menzie was there to register the first of the quarter once again.

The battle of the forward lines continued as Finlayson, who would finish with 6 goals for Port, added his second of the day to hand Port back the lead.

Yet Menzie, after marking a clever chip kick by Gibbs, was able to go back and boot this third of the day to give the Panthers a point lead.

Regaining the lead, the side was then dealt a major blow as Bailey Griffiths left the field with a knee injury that ruled him out for the remainder of the match.

A man down, O'Neill made the home side pay for a late hit by kicking a crowd-silencing goal halfway through the quarter.

Gaining momentum, Sam Ramsaywas able to quickly collect and snap his first goal in the blue and white. But the Panthers were dealt a further blow in the ruck department as Damon Freitag had to leave the field due to the blood rule.

Without a dedicated ruck for 10 minutes, the Panthers had to withstand an attempted fightback by Port.

Entering stoppage time, Harrison Gunther kept the home side out by winning a 2 on 1 scenario at halfback. Not just on this occasion but throughout the day South's defenders did their best against the AFL-listed attack.

After a run of behinds from both sides, Sampson brought this streak to an end with a much-needed goal deep into stoppage time.

However, Port was able to peg one back just before the siren to cut the Panthers' lead to 3 points at halftime, 9.6 (60) to 8.9 (57).

Playing in warm conditions and being a man down, things began to look bad for the Panthers as Port threatened to blow the game wide open.

The AFL-listed talent of the Power Reserves seemed too much for South Adelaide to handle as they conceded 5 unanswered goals during the third term. The only highlight came from a desperate chase down by Jake Summerton which denied Port an eye-catching goal.

Trailing by 28 points and with a rotation down; the Panthers surged forward, got over the top of the Port blockade and, after a clever smack back by Luke Bogle, Menzie, with an outside of the boot snap, kicked a crucial goal.

Minutes later, Menzie broke through a pack and snapped his fifth goal of the day to heavily swing the momentum into the Panthers' favour.

Sam Overall, after gaining possession out of a boundary throw-in, managed to kick a miracle goal to send the Panthers into the final break facing a much-more achievable deficit of 10-points, 12.8 (80) to 13.12 (90).

The final term was tense, to say the least. South Adelaide gained the first look inside 50 but a costly free-kick denied the chance to cut the lead—Port then went coast-to-coast to kick the opening goal of the term.

Making a cameo up forward, Reece Slape managed to sneak his kick through for a crucial goal which brought the deficit down to 2 goals.

Reece Slape kicks his first goal at a crucial time. Image: Nick Hook Photography 

Freitag then showed his composure to bring the deficit down to a single kick. Then Garthwaite struck with the lead-taking goal—but there were still 19 minutes of play left.

Showing the desperation of both sides, 2 Port players collided with each other while attempting to keep the Panthers from scoring any further. At the other end, the black and white kicked back-to-back points to retake the lead.

After a desperate, rebounding attack—Oscar Brownless nearly kicked the sealer but was struck by a defender, breaking his leg.

In all the commotion, Menzie managed to collect the footy, run around the defenders, and snap his sixth of the day to give the Panthers a 4-point lead with 2 minutes to play.

Carrying heavy legs and with 2 players down, the Panthers showed plenty of heart during those final 2 minutes.

Oscar Clavarino showed his coolness to deny a late look inside 50 by Port. His actions allowed Davis to clear and rebound, which ultimately ended in a Gibbs mark in the pocket.

With 30 seconds left, Gibbs's snap was the sealer—handing the Panthers the gutsy and hard-fought win, 17.9 (111) to 14.17 (101).

Sitting third on the ladder, South Adelaide will aim to keep their winning form alive when they face off against Sturt at Flinders University Stadium on Friday, 15 April, from 1:10 pm.

Click here to grab your tickets. 

We're ready for 2022, are you?

About the Author:Jayden Bartlett

 SANFL Official App


Follow every game of the 2024 Hostplus SANFL League and Women's League Season, with access to all the live scores and stats across all grades including Under-18s, under-16s and Women's Development League.

Download the official SANFL App to stay in touch with the club while you're on the go, powered by REDARC Electronics.