South Adelaide Football Club EST.1876

Joint major partners

Home  >  Blog  >  Flashback Friday: Kicking Goals Before, and After the Siren
Flashback Friday: Kicking Goals Before, and After the Siren

Flashback Friday: Kicking Goals Before, and After the Siren

26 August 2016

In the final round of the 2016 SANFL season we are coming up against the Adelaide Crows. On Flashback Friday we usually wind back the clock to a past game against the current weekend's opponent. However, with this weeks match up, we found ourselves a bit stuck for content.

This is due to the lack of history that the Adelaide Crows have in the SANFL, having only been in the competition for a handful of years.

Thankfully, our recent history against the Crows fledgling SANFL franchise is just as exciting as any Flashback Friday we have had to date.

In Round Six, earlier this year, we played what has been comfortably the most exciting win of the season, as we came from behind in the final term to beat the Crows by a point.

Heading into the final break, we found ourselves trailing the visitors 48 to 87, a margin which many thought would be too much to recover from.

Yet in a thrilling quarter of football we kicked six unanswered goals and were able to claw our way back.

Daniel Bass was the hero, slotting a goal from just inside the 50- meter line to us ahead by a single point with just seconds remain.

Moments after Bassy' goal, the siren sounded and put the game straight into the record books.

Check out our final quarter blitz below - watch Daniel's goal from 30:00 onwards


This exciting finish which is now a part of the South Adelaide Football Clubs rich history may only be matched by a similar comeback which occurred in 1984.

It was Round 10 at Adelaide Oval in the 1984 SANFL Season and the Panthers found themselves four points down against the Port Adelaide Magpies in the final moments of a thrilling contest.

The game had been nail-bitingly close up until this point with the score being within a goal at every break.

With the final siren only moments away and with the ball in the possession of four-time Magarey Medallist Russell Ebert in the Magpies backline, the match seemed all but over to the 13 thousand strong crowd.

However, as Ebert tried to ice the clock he fired off an uncharacteristically inaccurate chip pass that was intercepted by Panthers forward Darren Harris.

As Harris began his run in on goal, with a goal needed to put the Panthers into the lead, the final siren sounded.

Harris halted his run up, walked back to set himself, Magpies players streamed into defence to protect their goalline and supporters began to pile onto the field.

What happened next? Well we best let the video below tell the story...


We will see you at Hickinbotham Oval this weekend as we take on the Crows in the final round before finals.

See you then for what will hopefully be another famous victory!

Fight on Forever!

About the Author:South Adelaide Football Club

SANFL Official App

Keeping up with all the latest Panthers news and info has never been easier. The new SANFL app is your one stop place for everything SANFL and South Adelaide.

Download the official SANFL App to stay in touch with the club while you're on the go, powered by REDARC Electronics.